As one of the most popular sports out there, swimming is a low-impact activity that’s not only great for improving your physical health but also enhancing your mental wellbeing too.
Read on to discover more important benefits.
9 Key Benefits of Swimming
- Recreational swimming is beneficial for people of all ages and not only provides a low-impact workout but also has recovery benefits. Playing in or exercising in water, supports the body while recovering from illness or injury.
- Friends will always accept an invitation for a swim in your pool. It’s a great way to socialize while doing something you all enjoy and that the kids can join in with you.
- Increase energy levels and burn calories. Just thirty minutes, three times a week, can boost your energy levels and increase your metabolism. Whether a leisurely breaststroke or a highly intense butterfly swim, exercising in water makes your body work harder. Thirty minutes in the pool is the equivalent of forty-five on land.
- Maintain a healthy weight, heathy heart and lungs with regular swimming workouts. Build total body endurance along with your cardiovascular fitness.
- Tone muscle and build strength. Swimming provides an all-over body workout, utilizing nearly all of your main muscle groups. It keeps your heart rate up while taking some of the impact of stress off your body.
- Swimming is not only an excellent cardiovascular activity but it can also decrease your risk of diseases. Thirty minutes a week lowers the risk of heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes.
- A regular swim can improve coordination, flexibility, balance and posture to help keep you strong and active for years to come.
- Swimming is a relaxing and peaceful form of exercise that alleviates stress. Feel the mental benefits of swimming with just a light swim (no vigorous lane swimming needed), reduce anxiety and depression, and get a great nights’ sleep.
- Exercise without the sweat as the water continuously keeps you cool. On a hot day, a quick dip can keep you calm and refresh your mood.
When swimming please make sure that you don’t overexert yourself, that you are comfortable and swim only in a safe place and manner. Even more so if children are involved. Read on for some tips when swimming with kids.
Swimming Safely with Kids
Whenever you’re near the water with children, it’s important to keep these safety tips in mind:
- Always make sure you supervise your kids while in or near the water
- Enrol kids in swimming lessons to help them get started and feel comfortable with the water
- Teach your kids about drain entrapment to prevent accidents. It can be helpful to wear hair tied back or use swimming caps
- Teach your kids to never go in the water alone and always have a ‘buddy’ nearby
- Learn CPR. Keep yourself prepared and ready for anything
- Utilize the rules of the pool – don’t enter alone, don’t hold others underwater, don’t run around the edges of the pool etc. Ensure that your kids are aware of the rules and dangers
- Don’t use foam toys or floats as safety devices as drowning can occur. These objects simply aren’t a substitute for a life jacket
Thinking about a new pool for summer time? Swimming pools are great place for your family to make memories, just remember to be safe! Enjoy all of the benefits swimming has to offer.
Contact Leisure Industries and let us help you get the most out of swimming this season!